Los Angeles (AFP) – Former world footballer of the year Kaka has been added to the Brazilian roster for next month’s Copa America Centenario as an injury replacement for Bayern Munich midfielder Douglas Costa.
Brazil coach Dunga made the move for the 34-year-old striker of Orlando City after Costa was forced off the squad due to a left thigh injury, the team said late on Thursday.
Kaka, Major League Soccer’s highest-paid player, was expected to immediately join Brazil’s camp at Los Angeles and miss his club’s Sunday match at New York City FC.
Kaka, left off the final 23-man roster for the special US-staged edition of the South American championship, is the most capped player on the team with 91 international appearances and the top scorer with 29 goals.
FIFA’s 2007 World Player of the Year, has played in three World Cups, including Brazil’s triumphant 2002 trophy run, but the former AC Milan and Real Madrid star has never played in a Copa America.
Brazil, among the Copa favorites, will open tournament play on June 4 against Ecuador at Pasadena, California, and also face Haiti on June 8 at Orlando and Peru on June 12 at Foxboro, Massachusetts.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- QPR showing signs of progress under Michael Beale
- Problems continue to pile up for Spanish soccer
- Rafa Benitez reportedly on Nottingham Forest’s radar
- Umbro releases alternative World Cup kit collection
- Cristiano Ronaldo expected to leave Manchester United in January
- Real’s Perez hopes Super League closes gap with US sports
- Soccer player misses game due to Xbox injury
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Rangers on US TV
- Where to find Inter vs. Barcelona on US TV
- Where to find Frankfurt vs. Spurs on US TV