Madrid (AFP) – Barcelona striker Luis Suarez is a doubt for next month’s Copa America after hobbling off in tears midway through the Copa del Rey final win over Sevilla with a muscle injury.
The Uruguayan departed just before the hour mark of a bad-tempered final which saw three players sent off as goals in extra-time from Jordi Alba and Neymar handed Barca a 2-0 win and a 28th cup triumph.
“It is something muscular. Until the doctors look at him in Barcelona we won’t know the extent of the injury,” said Barca boss Luis Enrique.
“Now we have to wait for the tests tomorrow,” Suarez posted on his official Twitter account.
“I hope it is nothing and I can be with my national team next week. Thank you for the support.”
Suarez only returned to competitive international duty in March after completing a lengthy ban for biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini at the 2014 World Cup.
Uruguay face Mexico in their opening match in the Copa America, which is being hosted by the United States, on June 5 before playing Venezuela and Jamaica in Group C.
Suarez scored 59 goals in a prolific season for Barcelona to become the first man in seven years other than teammate Lionel Messi and Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo to win the Pichichi prize for La Liga’s top scorer.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ