Rome (AFP) – Iconic Roma captain Francesco Totti will stay at the capital outfit for a 24th season, the club’s general manager Mauro Baldissoni said in a television interview on Friday.
A one-club player with 600 league appearances, the veteran playmaker has had a tense relationship with coach Luciano Spalletti in recent times and speculation had been rife the player would be forced out.
“Francesco will continue to play at Roma and as you all know we want to keep him as part of the Roma family for a long time,” he said on the club’s in-house TV channel.
Totti’s hopes of earning a final year’s deal were boosted late in the season when he came off the bench to score late, crucial goals for Roma as they finished third in Serie A.
With some believing this could have been the 39-year-old’s final season in Italy’s top flight, for his 600th league game in early May fans flocked to the Stadio Olimpico with banners, t-shirts and flags all paying tribute to the longevity and loyalty of ‘Il Re de Roma’ (the King of Rome) and some declared they had grown up on ‘Bread and Totti’, as opposed to bread and water.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ