Doha (AFP) – A superb brace by Kota Mizunuma rocked Sven-Goran Eriksson’s Shanghai SIPG as they lost 2-1 to FC Tokyo in the AFC Champions League round of 16 first leg on Tuesday.

Mizunuma’s cheeky free-kick routine put the hosts ahead just before half-time and he volleyed a stunning winner on 65 minutes, after Wu Lei had briefly put SIPG level.

The victory leaves FC Tokyo dreaming of their first Champions League quarter-final, while SIPG will be up against it in next week’s return leg in Shanghai.

Elsewhere, a brilliant Leonardo free-kick earned 2006 champions Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors a 1-1 away draw against Melbourne Victory.

In Tokyo, Mizunuma opened the scoring on 43 minutes when he swept a close-range free-kick low and through the legs of team-mate Sota Hirayama, who was standing in the SIPG wall.

Argentine playmaker Dario Conca was at the heart of SIPG’s response and he set up the equaliser with a pass to Lu Wenjun, whose rebounded effort was snapped up by Wu Lei on 55 minutes.

But Mizunuma drilled Tokyo back in front 10 minutes later when he ran on to Yuhei Tokunaga’s cross and volleyed side-footed through the arms of goalkeeper Yan Junling.

Shanghai SIPG are debutants this year but Eriksson’s men have the look of seasoned campaigners, with Conca and Elkeson both winners of the competition with Guangzhou Evergrande.

Earlier, Melbourne went ahead through Besart Berisha’s header in the fifth minute, only for Leonardo to equalise with his free-kick eight minutes later.

The Brazilian’s effort went over the wall and into the top-left corner, past the unmoving goalkeeper Lawrence Thomas, to give Jeonbuk the edge when they host the second leg.

It was an emotional night for veteran Victory striker Archie Thompson, who was given a standing ovation as he was substituted in his final home match after 261 appearances and 101 goals for the club.

“In the end I was disappointed we didn’t win the game,” said Victory coach Kevin Muscat. “I thought we limited them to very little chances and we had a couple of gilt-edged chances.

“Having said that, we are still in the tie, we have scored in every away tie this campaign and we look forward to next week.”

– Lekhwiya thrashed –

In Doha, Brazilian forward Romarinho struck twice as Qatar giants Lekhwiya found themselves at the receiving end of a 4-0 thrashing by fast-rising El Jaish in their first-leg clash. 

Lekhwiya, the four-times league champions who just about managed to finish in the top four this year, fell behind in the 17th minute when Romarinho netted at the second attempt after his first shot hit the post and the ball fell at his feet. 

Sabri Lamouchi’s side totally dominated proceedings and extended their lead through Moroccan Abderrazaq Hamdallah in the 44th minute before Mohamed Mathnani netted off a Romarinho pass nine minutes into the second half to put the match beyond Lekhwiya’s grasp. 

El Jaish, however, were not finished yet as Romarinho found the net for the second time on the counter-attack to leave Lekhwiya with a mountain to climb when they meet in the second leg next week. 

Al Nasr of the United Arab Emirates also drew first blood in the knockouts, easing past Iran’s Tractorsazi 4-1 in Dubai.

After Ahmed al-Yassi had put the hosts ahead in the 14th minute, a brace by Salem Saleh and a late goal by Mahmoud Khamis put the issue beyond doubt although Augusto Cesar’s 54th-minute effort ensured Tractorsazi had something to show for their efforts in a one-sided encounter.

Meanwhile, Lokomotiv of Uzbekistan held Al Hilal to a goalless draw in Saudi Arabia.