Berlin (AFP) – Schalke 04 and head coach Andre Breitenreiter will part company at the end of the season, both parties confirmed Saturday before their final match of the Bundesliga season at Hoffenheim.
“It’s my final match on the bench with Schalke,” Breitenreiter told Sky on Saturday after just a season in charge.
His contract was due to expire in June 2017.
The 42-year-old, who was Schalke’s ninth coach in the last decade, replaced Roberto di Matteo last June.
Breitenreiter’s successor has not been named, but Augsburg coach Markus Weinzierl has been tipped to take over at the Gelsenkirchen club next season.
Schalke have missed out on a Champions League place for next season.
The Royal Blues are on course for the Europa League, along with Hertha Berlin and Mainz, having started the weekend seventh in the table.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family