Montreal (AFP) – Former Chelsea standout Didier Drogba scored on a half-volley in the third minute and Eastern Conference leader Montreal played to a 1-1 Major League Soccer draw with visiting Philadelphia.
It was the fourth deadlock in a row for the Impact, with Ivory Coast star Drogba’s fourth goal of the season being matched by the Union’s CJ Sapong in the 21st minute.
Montreal moved to 4-3 with four drawn to stay one point ahead of Philadelphia atop the MLS East table.
Gambian striker Kekuta Manneh scored in the 12th and 70th minutes and set up another goal to lead Vancouver to a 4-3 victory at Toronto. Sebastian Giovinco scored twice for Toronto, who has a team record 30 career goals for the Canadian club.
Congolese striker Cedrick Mabwati scored for Columbus in a 1-1 draw with visiting Colorado, while US and Vietnamese dual citizen Lee Nguyen and Benin midfielder Femi Hollinger-Janzen scored to give New England a 2-0 victory over Chicago.
Thunderstorm and safety issues led to the postponement of a scheduled game between the host Houston Dynamo and Real Salt Lake to Sunday afternoon.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season