Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane is unhappy with his current role at Real Madrid and is reportedly ready to leave the Spanish capital this summer unless he is given assurances from the club.
The 23-year-old France international has been the subject of speculation in the past. However, the young center-back would instantly quell those rumors by professing his desire to remain in Spain.
But recent developments have led to Varane questioning his long term future with the club.
Zinedine Zidane left the defender on the bench for Real Madrid’s last three Champions League matches (the quarter-final return leg against VfL Wolfsburg and both legs of the semi-final versus Manchester City).
In all likelihood, the manager simply preferred the defensive partnership of veterans Sergio Ramos and Pepe in the crucial European encounters. However, Varane’s omission has left him unsettled and the defender (and his representation) are now seeking assurances in regards to his role at the club.
Varane has featured regularly in Real Madrid’s lineup during a recent stretch of La Liga fixtures – which has seen Los Blancos gain ground on league leaders, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid. But the 23-year-old has not been able to hide his disappointment at being benched during the club’s most important European fixtures of the season.
Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, and Manchester United are ready to capitalize on this breaking situation. The European giants have previously contacted Real Madrid officials regarding the player. However, at the time, they were informed the player was happy in Spain and was not for sale.
But recent developments have apparently unsettled the France international.
If Varane were to leave, a likely destination would be alongside his former manager Carlo Ancelotti, who will take control of Bayern Munich next season. The Italian tactician enjoyed a good relationship with the young defender during his time with Real Madrid and a reunion with his former boss in Germany would surprise no one.
The future of Jose Mourinho could also determine the player’s destination. The Portuguese manager favored Varane during his time with Real Madrid and continues to be a huge admirer of the defender.
Should Mourinho resurface with Manchester United or Paris Saint-Germain (or another European club), it can be expected that his side would make a run towards signing the talented, young centre-back.
This will be a situation to keep an eye on over the coming weeks.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family