London (AFP) – England’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will miss the Euro 2016 finals in France after Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said Friday the Gunners winger has suffered a new knee injury which will sideline him for up to two months.
Oxlade-Chamberlain has not played since injuring a knee in the Champions League defeat by Barcelona on February 23.
He was due to play for Arsenal’s Under-21 team earlier in the week but has now sustained a second knee problem.
“There is no chance,” Wenger said when asked if Oxlade-Chamberlain could make the European Championship after confirming he faces six to eight weeks out.
“I had a conversation with Alex and with our medical team and they told me he will back in July. He was out for a while and was not overloaded with games.
“You want a guy of 22 years of age to go to the European Championships so it is very sad.”
“It’s very bad. He’s an impact player as well so he could have had a great contribution to England’s success.
“England had quite a few problems up front so I think it’s bad news.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more