Atletico Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann doesn’t care about the criticism heaped on his side by disgruntled opponents.
Most recently, Arturo Vidal labeled Atletico’s style as “ugly football” after Bayern Munich were sent crashing out of the Champions League by the Spanish club.
Despite dominating the return fixture at the Allianz Arena – where the German side had 72.5 percent possession and 33 attempts at goal – Bayern Munich were undone by Antoine Griezmann’s away goal and Atletico Madrid’s tremendous defensive teamwork.
“We were superior,” Vidal said following the match. “We controlled the game, but we did not finish off the chances we had.
“Today ugly football – Atletico – played against the best football in the world. The only time they saw the ball was for the goal.
“They are going to be dreaming about us right up to the final. They did not have the ball, they took on the best team in the world, they took their chances and got to the final.
“The best does not always win in football, like today. They are not deserved finalists.”
Most football ‘purists’ would agree with Vidal in regards to his criticism of Atletico Madrid’s tactics. However, during an interview with the Spanish publication AS, Griezmann dismissed the Chile international’s remarks and pointed towards the end result.
“We’re in the final and that’s the only thing that matters to us,” the France international said.
“Who cares what football we play? It works for us.”
Atletico Madrid have advanced to their second Champions League final in three seasons and are currently level on points with La Liga leaders Barcelona.
Griezmann went on to praise his manager, Diego Simeone, and admitted the Argentine coach changed his mentality as a player.
“He always asks for more, he never wants you to slacken off – there should always be tension, in training in our games and he always seems to find the right words to say to you, so that you give everything and you’re at 100 percent,” Griezmann added.
“He has turned me into a better player, a goalscorer – before I didn’t score as many goals as I am now. I’ve also improved in training.
“Every day I learn from him – he’s turned me into a winner.”
Griezmann has scored 31 goals in all competitions this season and is now considered one of Europe’s top players.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family