Connect with us

directv

Which is better for soccer fans, DirecTV or DISH?

directv-dish

Soccer fans, I need your help. I’m putting together a comparison guide to compare how DirecTV stacks up against DISH (and vice-versa).

Since I haven’t had a satellite subscription in over 10 years, I don’t have the first hand experience that you do to completely understand the pros and cons of both DirecTV and DISH.

I have a preliminary list of features and pricing for each satellite provider, but what insight can you share (positive or negative) about all aspects of being a DirecTV or DISH subscriber?

If you’ve tried both services, which one is better for soccer fans in your opinion? Is the picture quality on one better than the other? What has been your experience with customer service?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share. Please leave your feedback in the comments, and that’ll help me complete my DISH vs. DirecTV comparison guide for soccer fans.

the-gaffer-signature

ALSO SEE:

• Soccer channels on DirecTV
• Soccer channels on DISH

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
14 Comments

14 Comments

1. stiglet

April 27, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I had Directv for 8 years until January 2016 when I became fed up of the ever rising costs and the way they tier their soccer channels. I only want the TV for football/soccer. I will watch anything competition-wise but my main concern is the EPL and in order to have NBC Sports (essential for EPL, you have to have Directv Choice which was approx. $70.99), I also wanted FS2, so that was in the next tier and was approx. $79.99 just for the package, not including price for boxes etc. To get Bein Sports it is an additional $15 for the sports pack and then I also liked to have Fox Soccer Plus which again is an additional $15 (this is only a part-time HD channel too – but most big games were in HD). My monthly bill was up to $160 and I only watched at most 10 channels. The price was the major negative for me, along with how they tier their channels. But, their presentation/interface is much more organized and, the Extra Time channels are in HD. They also have the most soccer channels to offer, but you have to pay a lot.

I switched to Dish in January and am not upset, but not ecstatic. The channel listings don’t make a lot of sense and the record settings are sometimes difficult to navigate and when doing searches, it does not always seem to find games I know that are on. Extra Time is not in HD, but I can put up with that. The best thing about Dish is, for the first year I am paying $65 per month total and I have all channels but Fox Soccer Plus (which is $15 and not in HD). I am not willing to pay $15 for an SD channel… and, the programming does not overly interest me anymore, so it is no great loss. When my offer expires after 1 year, I will have to pay around $89 a month and again, will only be missing Fox Soccer Plus.

So, in summary, in my opinion, if you can afford it, Directv is the best but you have to pay a lot for it. I had numerous conversations with rep’s telling them if they just made a soccer pack for say $75 per month that had all the channels except Fox Soccer Plus, I believe they would be hands down the number one US soccer provider, but that would be living the dream. If you want the cheaper option, with slightly less quality presentation and a few less HD channels, Dish works just fine.

2. CTBlues

April 27, 2016 at 1:23 pm

The only time I really loose picture on DirecTV is if a big rain storm coming out of the south, but if I switch to the SD version of the channel I am usually fine until the storm passes. Also if we are having a sticky wet snow it will accumulate on the dish and will have to be cleaned off to get any picture at all.

It is expensive and I have been considering getting rid of it since I don’t really watch anyone besides Chelsea but Optimum by Cablevision doesn’t have FS2 in HD and the EPL overflow channels aren’t in HD either.

3. Christopher Harris

April 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I’ve finished up the comparison guide between DISH and DirecTV, and it can be found at https://worldsoccertalk.com/directv-vs-dish-for-soccer-fans/

If I’m missing anything, please let me know.

4. Matt

April 27, 2016 at 9:25 am

Another vote for Directv. Uefa overflow channels and Premier League Extra Time channels for free, and my package includes FS2 in HD. I used to dislike the fact that Fox Soccer Plus is a standalone, $15/month premium channel, but I cared far less about this once fox lost Premier League rights. I’ve only lost picture 4 times in five years, and all of them were weather related (3 monstrous severe thunderstorms and one blizzard).

• Tim

April 27, 2016 at 12:21 pm

If that happens again you can go into your settings, tv preferences and then display. Switch your format from “hide SD duplicates” to “show all channels”. This will bring up a SD channel and HD channel on your guide and if you select the SD channel in times of inclement weather it normally works. obviously it will be in SD for the time being but its better than nothing until the weather passes. DTV service will not tell you that over the phone and a tech once showed me when he came over to install new equipment.

5. Efrain

April 27, 2016 at 8:13 am

I’ve never had DISH, but have been a Directv subscriber for years. Great picture and it has all the overflow channels for Premier League. I also watch La Liga and Champions league so that’s covered with BEIN and the Fox Sports channels and Regional Fox networks. I have the DVR service so I can watch all my matches at my convenience. All the channels mentioned are in HD. Biggest problem is the price. It’s freakkin expensive. I pay about $150 and that’s with no premium movie channels. I would love to save money by going to Comcast or good quality streaming with Roku. The issue is that my Comcast system does not carry BEIN in HD and I refuse to watch a soccer match in SD! And, as I like to record most games, I can’t go the streaming route. The NBC Extra app on Roku does have most Premier League matches available later in day for replay, but Futbol app does not so I would miss my Barca matches. Once I find a streaming app that will offer on demand/replay La Liga matches then I”m done with Directv (only because of the price as the quality and channel options are awesome).

6. Tim

April 27, 2016 at 8:06 am

I bought Directv back in 08 for Setanta Sports so i could watch more games and i have not looked back since. Picture quality is the best, has all EPL, UCL and Europa league over flow channels along with BeIn, Gol TV, Fox 1 and 2 and a lot of the spanish language sports channels if you are in to that. I would not recommend anything else for soccer fans.

7. José Goenaga

April 27, 2016 at 4:46 am

It depends on your subscription package. Mine is DISH Latino Max. For a reasonable monthly cost I access BEIN, FS1, NBC Universo, Telemundo, USA, ESPN, ESPN Deportes, FoxDeportes, Univision, Unimas. So I watch EPL, MLS, MX, serieA, La Liga, Ligue Un, Bundesliga. International tournaments. Plenty football in HD. Look into it.

8. flagrant31

April 27, 2016 at 4:01 am

Straight up,as far as the preferred provider for viewing soccer,DirecTV gets the nod.Overall,from picture quality to channels offered to service issues,DirecTV presently is The Best of The Worst.Be advised,you must be able and/or willing to fork out the money necessary to feed your craving.Don’t even think about paying anywhere near these low advertised prices being thrown out for a basic package,because that’s not a vible option.The shakedown that DirecTV runs is for example:You pay extra for a Regional Sports Package containing such as MSG,YES,and SNY thinking you will get all the programming shown on these networks.Wrong.Since DirecTV doesn’t want to pony up the fees,on MSG you can watch Rangers and Red Bulls,but no Knicks,Islanders,Devils,or Sabres.The Yankees and NYCFC are available on Yes,but no Nets.Their response is Too Bad,So Sad.If you want to see Knicks or Nets,purchase NBA League Pass.Islanders,Devils or Sabres,well then you need NHL Center Ice, both of which they will gladly tack on to your bill.Philly sports fan….they don’t even offer Comcast (once again since they don’t want to pay) and living in their regional territory,the leagues black out Flyers,Phillies,and 76ers so even if you were to subscribe to Extra Innings,League Pass or Center Ice you’re still out of luck.Do your homework before signing up for a 2 year contract to avoid any unknown surprises.

• CTBlues

April 27, 2016 at 1:14 pm

What are you talking about there are like 5 MSG stations on DirecTV with MSG, MSG+, MSG+2 and the overflow channels so they can show all the NJRB, Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, or Sabers games. YES shows all the Nets games that aren’t on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, or TNT. Sometimes there is some cross over with the Yankees and NYCFC and they usually stream the NYCFC game live on Fox Sports Go and show the game delayed on YES after Yankees Post game coverage.

• flagrant31

April 27, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Maybe where you are,you get all those games,not where I am.Yes, there are all those MSG channels,BUT they blackout the live NHL games.You can see the replays of the Devils,Sabres,and Islanders,thanks to the NHL,not DirecTV.As for Nets and Knicks,you get NOTHING.With the Knicks they even blackout the 10 and 20 year old vintage games when they were good.THAT’s what I’m talking about.

9. Ivan

April 26, 2016 at 10:42 pm

I have Directv and it’s fantastic. The overflow channels showing all Premier League games give me the option to switch to the true game of the week, if the one on NBCSN is a bore fest.
    I get FS2 in HD, which is awesome, plus BeIN, of course, and Univision Deportes, which shows Liga MX, the portugese and Dutch league games.
    You really can’t ask for more.
    The biggest drawback – the ever increasing monthly fee, now hitting $150/month, which includes the sports packages, but I don’t have any of the HBO, Cinemax channels. At least the bill is in my name…as long as my wife doesnt find out how much i am paying every month, i am good…

10. Skerdi

April 26, 2016 at 8:03 pm

I have Directv and I am very happy with it. I get all the soccer available and possible.

I do believe though that if you must both beIN channels (English and Spanish), you have to shell $19 per month ($14 for the sports pack to get the English Channel and $5 per month for Directv Deportes pack for the Spanish channel). They are both available on the America Top 250 (or whatever their top base tier is called) with Dish.

However, beIN Spanish is not HD with Dish.

I am also not sure if Dish offer NBC Live Extra overflow channels, unless they just added them this year.

11. RJ

April 26, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I had DirecTV for years and I can’t imagine anything better for soccer fans. After moving to a place with strict HOA rules, I had to switch to Comcast. I miss my old life.

I used to be able to watch every EPL game on my nice TV. Now I have to watch on my computer with a big black border and ad at the top. I used to see matches on Fox Sports 2. Not anymore unless I want to pay extra for their crappy web stream. Picture was great. Never had weather outages. Price seemed reasonable for what we got.

Unless Dish provides hand jobs during Everton matches, I’d bet DirecTV is the best option for footy addicts.