After 65 matches, the average attendance for the 2016 MLS season is just over 21,300, which represents a 3.15% increase over the first 65 games of the 2015 season.
Of course, you have to take the numbers with a grain of salt.
For gameweek 7 of the 2016 MLS season, the average reported attendance was 20,750. The FC Dallas-Sporting KC game, where there were lightning storms in the area, reported an attendance that was 98.3% of capacity. The expectation was a sellout crowd, but the bad weather resulted in a ton of empty seats (see video for evidence). Despite the hordes of empty seats, FC Dallas and MLS reported a 16,215 attendance.
Meanwhile in Colorado, weather disrupted the attendance at that game. Still, the team and league reported an attendance number of 10,670, which equated to 61.2% of the capacity despite the fact that the teams played in practically an empty stadium (see video for evidence).
Here are the latest MLS attendances for this week and the season thus far:
|Week 7 attendances|
|Att||Cap||Att||Att +/-||GP||% of Cap||Cap|
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season