US prosecutors on Tuesday set a February 2017 target date for the start of the huge FIFA corruption trial that has ensnared dozens of world soccer’s top executives.
“The proposed schedule set forth below contemplates that jury selection would commence on February 27, 2017,” prosecutor Robert Capers wrote in a letter late Monday to federal Judge Raymond Dearie, who is presiding in the case.
Under the proposed schedule, evidence in the case would have to be submitted to the court by June 30 of this year, to give both defense and prosecution attorneys time to prepare their cases. Motions in the case would be presented through the end of January.
All told, 40 people have been charged in the massive corruption scandal, which first came to light in May 2015. Fifteen have already pleaded guilty.
Most of the accused are top soccer officials from the Americas, as well as sports marketing executives.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family