Long-serving Bolton Wanderers chairman Phil Gartside has died aged 63 after a short battle with cancer, the English second-tier club announced on Wednesday.
Gartside joined the Bolton board in 1988 and had served as chairman since 1999, overseeing the club’s 11-year stint in the Premier League between 2001 and 2012, which included four successive top-eight finishes.
“Phil has been a personal friend for over 30 years and this is a very sad day for everybody associated with Bolton Wanderers,” said vice-chairman Brett Warburton in a statement on the club website.
“On behalf of Eddie Davies, the board and everyone associated with the club we send our deepest condolences to all Phil’s family and ask that their privacy is respected during what is a difficult time for all involved.”
The news falls at a difficult time for Bolton, who are fighting to avoid relegation from the Championship and attempting to stave off the threat of bankruptcy.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ