The year 2016 got off to a good start for the USMNT with a 3-2 victory over Iceland. A last minute winner from Steve Birnbaum capped off an entertaining game. Now the US must turn their focus to the next game as they look to close the January Camp on a high note against Canada.
Sunday’s win over Iceland was not the best performance from the US, but after the way 2015 played out most fans and coach Jurgen Klinsmann will take the win. A number of players stood out with Birnbaum the hero, but also guys like Lee Nguyen, Kellyn Acosta, Jerome Kiesewetter and Jordan Morris. Jozy Altidore got a goal and it is hoped that goal boosts his confidence and that he can really get it going (that sounds familiar). Gyasi Zardes was a disappointment while Luis Robles did not have too much to do, save for one save he made that was shot right at him.
Like their European counterparts who are using February’s international friendlies to to prepare for Euro 2016, the US also has Copa America 2016 to look forward to in the summer, especially as it hosts the event. However, with Klinsmann and US Soccer in general tied into the four-year World Cup cycle, this fixture, like the summer tournament, will only be a ‘building’ process.
Canada come into this game having had a good, not great, 2015. They were held scoreless at the Gold Cup (for the second tournament in a row) but did well in World Cup Qualifying, where they currently sit second in Group A behind Mexico. Canada has lost only once in their last thirteen games. What’s more is that in 2015 they finally played some games at home (four of them, the most in any one year since 2012) and were unbeaten at home. Benito Floro seems to have finally gotten the fan base excited and have reportedly sold more than 30,000 tickets to their next home qualifier against Mexico in Vancouver. The roster for this game is, like the US roster, a mix of youth and veterans. Reigning MLS Rookie of the Year Cyle Larin is there along with fellow youngster Tesho Akindele. Among the more senior players are 34-year-old Julian de Guzman and 32 year old Iain Hume who plays his club soccer in India.
- On Tuesday, Brad Evans and Michael Orozco-Fiscal were sent home from the US camp, Evans with hamstring tightness and Fiscal as part of an agreement with Club Tijuana.
- The US has not scored against Canada since the 2011 Gold Cup.
- Jozy Altidore is now only two goals behind Eric Wynalda for third on the US all-time scoring charts.
- With the win against Iceland, Jurgen Klinsmann is now second in US history with 44 wins, behind only Bruce Arena.
Stub Hub Center
Streaming: FOX Soccer 2GO (sign up for their 7-day free trial)
USA leads 13-8-12
BBVA Compass Stadium
USA 0-0 Canada
Current FIFA Ranking
Next Game Up
USA @ Guatemala
Estadio Mateo Flores
Guatemala City, Guatemala
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan
- Wimbledon, Tour, cricket and rugby find Covid still in the air