Chile coach Jorge Sampaoli appears on the verge of quitting six months after guiding La Roja to the Copa America, with the Argentine claiming he is being held “hostage” by the federation. Sampaoli has called a press conference for later on Wednesday when he is expected to announce he is stepping down after three years in the job.
After the heady days of last year and Copa glory, Chilean soccer has descended into crisis, with federation president Sergio Jadue disgraced in the FIFA bribery scandal. Jadue, vice-president of South American regional body CONMEBOL, is reportedly in witness protection in the United States to cooperate with a probe into the corruption scandal.
Sampaoli is furious at local media reports alleging that he is guilty of tax evasion and holds an offshore bank account.
New Chilean football chief Arturo Salah has refused to let Sampaoli break his contract unless he pays a $6 million (5.5 million euros) buy-out clause.
“In this atmosphere, I don’t want to work or live any more in this country,” Sampaoli told Chilean website Faro Deportivo.
“I could never have thought that the image of an idol who has given so much to Chilean football could be destroyed in such a short time,” he added.
“My honor and my dignity have been damaged by pretending there’s a link with the corrupt acts of the former president. It’s incredible and unacceptable.”
If Sampaoli does confirm his exit, his compatriot Marcelo Bielsa, jobless since walking out on Marseille at the start of the Ligue 1 season in France, could return to the post he held between 2007-2010.
Another contender according to local media is Eduardo Berizzo, the manager of Celta Vigo in Spain’s La Liga.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan
- Wimbledon, Tour, cricket and rugby find Covid still in the air
- Maldini signs new two-year director deal with AC Milan
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille amid differences with club bosses