Uruguay will bid to mark the centenary of its triumph in the first football World Cup by hosting the 2030 tournament jointly with rival Argentina, the countries’ presidents said Thursday.
Argentina’s new President Mauricio Macri was visiting neighboring Uruguay to warm up relations that cooled under his predecessor Cristina Kirchner. To strengthen their ties, “there is no better opportunity than committing to run as joint candidates to host that World Cup” in 2030, Macri said. That year will be the centenary of the first ever World Cup, at which hosts Uruguay beat Argentina 4-2 in the final.
Macri spoke alongside his Uruguayan counterpart Tabare Vasquez, at the latter’s presidential ranch in Anchorena, southwestern Uruguay. Macri is a former president of top Argentina soccer club Boca Juniors, and Vasquez was president of Uruguayan side Progreso.
South America has staged only one edition of the World Cup — the Brazil 2014 tournament — since Argentina staged the event in 1978.
The tournament heads to Russia in 2018 before being staged in Qatar in 2022.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find River Plate vs. Lanús on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- World Cup tickets on sale and in high demand
- Euro hosts England thrash reigning champions Netherlands in friendly
- Man City agree deal for Leeds midfielder Phillips: reports
- Chelsea favorites to land Neymar if Brazilian departs PSG
- Former England star Rooney quits as Derby manager
- USMNT goalkeepers: Lack of playing time creates big dilemma
- Success of Apple’s groundbreaking MLS deal hinges on pricing
- Milan begin Serie A title defence with Udinese visit in mid-August