Uruguay will bid to mark the centenary of its triumph in the first football World Cup by hosting the 2030 tournament jointly with rival Argentina, the countries’ presidents said Thursday.
Argentina’s new President Mauricio Macri was visiting neighboring Uruguay to warm up relations that cooled under his predecessor Cristina Kirchner. To strengthen their ties, “there is no better opportunity than committing to run as joint candidates to host that World Cup” in 2030, Macri said. That year will be the centenary of the first ever World Cup, at which hosts Uruguay beat Argentina 4-2 in the final.
Macri spoke alongside his Uruguayan counterpart Tabare Vasquez, at the latter’s presidential ranch in Anchorena, southwestern Uruguay. Macri is a former president of top Argentina soccer club Boca Juniors, and Vasquez was president of Uruguayan side Progreso.
South America has staged only one edition of the World Cup — the Brazil 2014 tournament — since Argentina staged the event in 1978.
The tournament heads to Russia in 2018 before being staged in Qatar in 2022.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more