If the prevailing goal is to construct one team, purpose built for pushing deep into World Cup 2018, well, maybe a couple more runs through the German and other European dual citizenship data are worth it. Maybe. Even then, forging team identity and chemistry is surely part of the exercise. And if the goals is building something bigger, something more lasting is the ultimate ambition, then perhaps, if all things are roughly equal, choosing the player developed through our own systems is the better choice. It’s really just about balance. It always has been. But the balance is surely shifting.
We needed Dooley and Stewart back then, and guys like Roy Wegerle and Fernado Clavijo, too. Do we need them now? Do we need as many? What are the implications to the bigger picture? What is the downside in developing team identity? These are the relevant questions, and the answers are shifting.
If someone says the answers are simple, well, wish them a Merry Christmas or appropriate holiday greeting. Then remind them how wrong they are.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ