Bayer Leverkusen Chief Executive Officer Michael Schade says his club would be interested in signing an American soccer player who could help his team score goals and market the club in the United States.
In an interview with US journalists on Monday, the chairman said:
“If I could have a wish, I would like to get a player that really could play in the first team from America and from China because that would open new markets.
“If a player from the United States — let me say a [striker] — would come here and score every week, it would be a dream come true.”
Schade was speaking to journalists in Leverkusen to discuss the Bundesliga’s international expansion as well as Bayer’s upcoming tournament (the Florida Cup) in the United States scheduled for this January.
In the past, Bayer Leverkusen have featured several American soccer players including Landon Donovan, Frankie Hejduk, Thomas Dooley, Jermaine Jones and Claudio Reyna.
David Yelldell, who is currently Leverkusen’s third goalkeeper, is the only US international with the team at the moment. Yelldell earned his one US Men’s National Team cap in 2011.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco