Manchester United strikers Wayne Rooney and Anthony Martial have been passed fit for Wednesday’s Champions League home game with PSV Eindhoven, manager Louis van Gaal revealed on Tuesday. The two players missed United’s 2-1 win at Watford in the Premier League on Saturday, captain Rooney due to illness and Martial because of a foot injury sustained on international duty with France. But they took part in training at United’s Carrington training base on Tuesday along with midfielder Marouane Fellaini, who has missed United’s last two games with a calf problem.
“Rooney is recovered and Martial can play,” Van Gaal told MUTV. “Fellaini can play. So that’s great news, I think.”
Phil Jones (ankle) and Ander Herrera (hamstring), injured against Watford, did not participate in training and have been ruled out of Wednesday’s match.
“Jones and Herrera cannot play,” Van Gaal said. “It’s too soon because they also need recovery time.”
Michael Carrick, who hurt his ankle on England duty, will also miss the game, along with long-term absentees Luke Shaw and Antonio Valencia. Bastian Schweinsteiger also missed training, but Van Gaal said he was just observing a recovery day.
United top Group B and will qualify for the Champions League last 16 if they beat PSV at Old Trafford on Wednesday.
More Manchester United:
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more