Today’s episode of NBCSN’s Premier League Download features a special one-on-one interview with former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
NBC’s Rebecca Lowe interviewed Ferguson on his book tour for Leading. The episode debuts today on NBCSN at 2pm ET.
World Soccer Talk obtained a screener of the interview in advance of today’s broadcast.
Lowe describes the interview as one of the high points of her career. While the interview doesn’t reveal anything earth shattering, it reminds me a lot of the interview that Ferguson did with Charlie Rose in 2013. While it’s not hard hitting, Lowe takes a deep dive into many of the beliefs that Ferguson held that resulted in success during his career at Manchester United.
More importantly, it’s also a perfect example of the prowess of Lowe as a sharp interviewer where she asks thought provoking questions. For example, asking Fergie whether he ever got lonely and who lifted him up during the hard times.
For me, one of the most revealing parts of the interview is Ferguson’s answer to a question about what he won’t miss in his job as United boss. He starts to talk about the press and the criticism he received, but then admitted he didn’t read much of the criticism anyway. But it was inability to completely finish his thought that was eyeopening. Sometimes what a person doesn’t say is as revealing as his words.
The interview covers a wide range of topics including the most important thing Ferguson wanted to change after he walked into the job at Manchester United, where his principles come from, the importance of watching and listening instead of talking all the time, as well as how he treated Eric Cantona differently than other United players.
Whether you’re a United supporter or not, there’s definitely enough life lessons in the interview to make it must-see television.
Premier League Download debuts Sunday, November 22nd at 2pm ET on NBCSN.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters
- Ronaldo blasts ‘lies’ over Man Utd future
- Where to find Sheffield United vs. Sunderland on US TV
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Rosario Central on US TV
- Where to find Dynamo Kyiv vs. Benfica on US TV
- Muscat shrugs off Iniesta threat as Asian Champions League returns
- USMNT World Cup kits real or fake? Combing through the clues
- Brighton sign Ecuador’s Estupinan from Villarreal
- PSV rescue Rangers draw as Obispo spares Benitez’s blushes in Champions League play-offs