Suspended FIFA president Sepp Blatter revealed Sunday that he feared he was dying during a recent health scare.
The 79-year-old, who has been banned for 90 days as the ongoing probe into widespread corruption at football’s world governing body, was hospitalised earlier this month suffering from stress.
“I was close to dying. I was between the angels who were singing and the devil who was lighting the fire, but it was the angels who sang,” Blatter told Swiss broadcaster RTS in an interview to be aired on Wednesday.
“The pressure was enormous. At some stage the body just says ‘no’, ‘enough is enough’. But if you are strong psychologically you can resist.”
In September, Swiss prosecutors opened a criminal case against Blatter over mismanagement and a suspicious $2 million payment made in 2011 to European football chief Michel Platini, who is also serving a 90-day ban.
But in excerpts from Wednesday’s interview which were released to the media on Sunday, Blatter hailed Platini as an “honest man”.
“There is an agreement…even in the FIFA regulations that a contract can be made either in writing or orally. It is an oral contract, a contract of work.”
The payment made to Platini in 2011 was reportedly for work the Frenchman carried out a decade earlier.
Despite his suspension, Platini is still in the running to succeed Blatter as FIFA president when the election is held in February.
On the question of whether or not the UEFA president would make a good FIFA chief, Blatter said: “Yes”.
“If he comes back, he will be elected.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’
- Brands hoping World Cup boosts Gen Z interest in soccer
- Hummel makes statement with World Cup kits for Denmark
- 3 reasons Arlington is not ideal host for 2026 World Cup final
- Richarlison racially abused in Brazil’s win over Tunisia
- Where to find Chelsea vs. West Ham on US TV
- USMNT staggers into World Cup following draw with Saudi Arabia
- 2026 World Cup Final will reportedly be in Arlington, Texas