Aston Villa boss Remi Garde revealed his daughter was in Paris during the terrorist attacks. The 49-year-old was flying back to France on Friday when extremists struck outside the Stade de France, where the national team were playing Germany, and across the capital.
The death toll from the series of attacks stands at 129 with many more seriously injured, and ex-France international Garde admitted he was scared for his daughter’s safety. He said:
“I was on the plane back to France when it happened. Then I was in the taxi and I heard the game on the radio.
“They said there was an explosion outside the stadium. We didn’t know too much at this time, then I went home and learned my daughter was in Paris for the weekend.
“I didn’t know that. I was scared a little bit but just for two hours because I had her on the phone and it was okay. Everyone in France has a cousin or daughter or friends in Paris.
“All the country was scared. It was very hard. When you know your family is safe it’s one point. But when you saw what happened – everybody has been affected a lot. We are still affected by that. It is such a nightmare to see such an attack.
“She was not near the place where it happened. She stayed in the apartment and understood quite quickly it was not the night to be out in Paris.
“We speak every day on the phone. I saw her and my family since.”
Villa go to Everton in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday with clubs set to play the French national anthem before the games. Garde, who is without Jordan Amavi for the season after a knee injury, would be pleased to see it sung but would not blame anyone if it does not happen:
“It would be a good thing but if it doesn’t happen I wouldn’t say it’s the fault of English not to sing.
“You have to not forget what happened but it’s very important we carry on. I am not sure the Marseillaise on every pitch should be sung, but if it’s the case I will be very happy but if it’s not I will not say ‘why have we not sung the Marseillaise?”
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ