Jose Mourinho’s difficulties at Chelsea have increased after it emerged former club doctor Eva Carneiro had made him the subject of an individual legal claim, in addition to her action against the club for constructive dismissal. Here we look at the Portuguese’s controversial start to the season, on and off the pitch:
August 8 – Mourinho criticizes Chelsea first team doctor Carneiro and physiotherapist Jon Fearn for naivety in running on to the field to treat Eden Hazard in the opening-day draw with Swansea. Mourinho is cleared by the Football Association of abusing Carneiro, who then subsequently leaves Chelsea.
August 16 – Chelsea lose 3-0 away to Manchester City, with Mourinho substituting captain John Terry at halftime.
August 29 – Mourinho’s 100th Premier League home match results in only a second loss as his side go down 2-1 to Crystal Palace.
September 12 – The Blues lose again as they are beaten 3-1 at Everton, Steven Naismith with a hat trick.
September 19 – Diego Costa is banned retrospectively for a running feud with Arsenal defenders Laurent Koscielny and Gabriel in Chelsea’s 2-0 win. Arsene Wenger avoids censure afterwards for calling referee Mike Dean “weak and naive”. Mourinho turns his frustrations to Wenger and the FA.
September 29 – Chelsea lose 2-1 to Mourinho’s old club Porto in the Champions League.
October 3 – Following a fourth league defeat, 3-1 to Southampton, Mourinho questions whether he will be sacked and subsequently receives the first vote of confidence in a manager in the 12 years of Roman Abramovich’s ownership. He is, though, hit with a £50,000 fine and suspended one-match stadium ban for comments after the loss about referee Robert Madley, which, an independent panel judges, alleged bias.
October 15 – The Portuguese maintains his attack on the FA, calls his fine a “disgrace” and says: “I’m happy that I don’t have an electronic tag.”
October 17 – Mourinho rounds on star player Hazard after dropping him to the bench for the 2-0 win over Aston Villa and demands the Belgian improve his defensive work rate.
October 24 – Chelsea lose again, 2-1 at West Ham, losing Nemanja Matic to a first half red card and also having assistant first team coach Silvino Louro sent to the stands. Mourinho does not emerge on the touchline for the second half, having also been sent off.
October 26 – Mourinho charged with misconduct over his behavior at West Ham.
October 27 – Holders Chelsea are knocked out of the Capital One Cup after losing their fourth-round tie to Stoke on penalties.
October 31 – Chelsea suffer yet another defeat as Liverpool are 3-1 winners at Stamford Bridge. The club’s position on his future, publicly at least, is unchanged from the vote of confidence at the start of the month.
November 2 – Press Association Sport understands that legal papers will be served on Mourinho this week as part of separate but connected claims against him and against the club by Carneiro.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Potter magic seals first league win as Chelsea boss
- Bundesliga in talks with private equity firms to sell media rights
- Gareth Bale debuts own craft beer ahead of World Cup
- Arsenal extend Adidas kit deal until 2030 on eve of derby win
- Where to find Crystal Palace vs. Chelsea on US TV
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Brighton on US TV
- Where to find São Paulo vs. Independiente del Valle on US TV
- Where to find PSG vs. Nice on US TV
- Where to find Inter vs. Roma on US TV
- Where to find Arsenal vs. Spurs on US TV