Other than Mexico, who beat the United States to win the CONCACAF Cup in California, there were two other clear winners Saturday night — Univision and FOX Sports due to impressive TV viewing numbers for the classic rivalry between these two nations.
While the numbers from FOX Sports have not been published yet, the USA-Mexico game on Univision averaged 5.1 million viewers. The audience was larger than the viewership for Game 1 of the MLB American League Division Series between the Houston Astros and Kansas City Royals on Fox Sports 1 on October 8th among all key demographics. Viewership was more than 4 times larger than the opening game of the NHL season between the New York Rangers and the Chicago Blackhawks on NBC Sports Network on October 7 among all key demographics.
The match aired on Saturday at 9pm ET on Univision and was simulcast on Univision Deportes Network.
Meanwhile, the USA vs. Mexico match was the no. 1 most social episode across all broadcast sports events on Saturday, according to Nielsen.
Univision was the highest rated broadcast station regardless of language during the USA vs. Mexico Confederation Cup Playoff match (9:30 p.m.-12:30a.m. ET) among:
• Total Viewers 2+ in Los Angeles, New York, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento
• Adults 18-49 and young Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, New York, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento
During the USA vs. Mexico Confederation Cup Playoff match, Univision stations had higher viewership than the ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX stations combined among:
• Total Viewers 2+ in Los Angeles and Phoenix
• Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento
• Young Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, New York, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Violent clashes in Tirana before the Conference League final
- Klopp named Premier League manager of the year
- Premier League season 2nd most-watched ever in US history
- Euro titles ‘no help’ to Mourinho ahead of Conference League final
- Premier League approve Boehly’s takeover of Chelsea
- Premier League board approve Chelsea takeover by Boehly group
- Top 15 US TV markets for Premier League viewership
- England boss Southgate concerned by rise in fan disorder
- Who is the greatest soccer player of all time?
- Spurs make £150m investment as Conte eyes transfer splash