Philadelphia Union owner Jay Sugarman has sacked CEO Nick Sakiewicz just 24 hours after the MLS club lost on penalty kicks to Sporting Kansas City in the final of the 2015 US Open Cup.
In a statement, Sakiewicz said “I enjoyed my time at the Philadelphia Union, and am proud of the team, the organization and the stadium that we built.
“I wish the Union, Jay Sugarman and the entire organization the best of luck and continued success.”
Under Sakiewicz, the team hasn’t won any silverware, and has lost a lot of the feel-good factor that the club had when they were founded in 2008.
The frustration with the way the club is being run hit a wall on Thursday morning when Philly.com reporter Jonathan Tannenwald said, “I’ve given Jay Sugarman the benefit of the doubt for years and I just can’t anymore after last night.”
Tannenwald was upset at the fact that Sugarman flew to and from the game in a helicopter despite the owner being one of the most tight-fisted in the entire league.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more