Bayern Munich head coach Pep Guardiola walked out of his Friday press conference following repeated questions from regarding his future at the club. Guardiola has yet to sign an extension with the Bundesliga champions, and his contract is set to expire at the end of the season.
Despite winning the German league twice in his first two seasons, the former Barcelona manager has faced criticism for his side’s performances, the Spaniard’s tactics, man-management and team selection being the focal point of questioning from the club’s supporters and the German media.
Last season, Guardiola was heavily-linked with a move to Manchester City, and the fact that the 44-year-old has yet to agree to an extension with Bayern has many believing this season will be his last in Germany.
This summer, Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge expressed his desire to tie Guardiola down to the club for the long term. However, the club has said that negotiations over a new contract would be held as soon as Guardiola was ready.
Speaking ahead of his side’s trip to Mainz on Saturday, Guardiola was curt when asked about his plans, ultimately walking out of the press conference when he was asked about the latest rumor regarding his future.
Fresh reports on Friday have suggested the English Football Association wants Guardiola to succeed Roy Hodgson as manager of the country’s men’s national team.
When asked whether he would sign a contract extension with Bayern Munich, Guardiola responded: “Next question.”
The coach was then asked about rumors linking him to the England job. It was at that point that the 44-year-old stormed out of the press conference.
“Oh come on,” Guardiola said. “I’m the coach of Bayern Munich. Many thanks and auf wiedersehen (“goodbye).”
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ