Milan (AFP) – Mario Balotelli could make his first start since returning to AC Milan as the Rossoneri travel to Udinese on Tuesday looking to build on their gutsy 3-2 win over Palermo at the weekend.
Balotelli re-joined Milan on a season-long loan deal last month after a disastrous year with Liverpool, whom he joined in the summer of 2014 following a mitigated 18 months at the San Siro.
The 25-year-old has made two appearances so far for Sinisa Mihajlovic’s side, coming off the bench in the second half in the 1-0 derby defeat to Inter Milan and then against Palermo on Saturday when fellow striker Carlos Bacca hit a brace in a 3-2 victory over the Sicilians.
With Slovakian midfielder Juraj Kucka and defender Ignazio Abate joining Milan’s growing casualty list, Mihajlovic said on Monday he is set to ring the changes for a trip north which he labelled “difficult.”
That means Balotelli, who was ordered to adhere to a strict list of rules by the Italian giants upon his arrival last month, could start for Milan.
Despite having his driving license suspended last month for speeding in his Lamborghini at 90 kilometers-per-hour in a 50kilometers-per-hour zone, the striker has satisfied Mihajlovic with his “exemplary” behavior “on and off the pitch”.
“Balotelli could start, but I haven’t decided yet. There will be a few changes but I want to keep as many of my regulars as possible,” said the Serbian.
SEE MORE: Juventus ends drought; Totti strikes No. 300.
Asked if he thought Balotelli had changed, Mihajlovic added:
“I don’t know what he was like before, I knew him when he was a 17-year-old at Inter and now he’s 25.
“All I knew was what I read in the newspapers and what I saw him do when he was playing. Up until now, he’s been exemplary on and off the pitch.
“I can’t fault his behavior, although I always impress on him to improve.”
After failing to qualify for Europe this season, seven-time European champions Milan are desperate to turn their ailing fortunes around, although the Rossoneri have won only two of their four games so far.
With three goals in four matches it has been a positive start for Bacca, but Mihajlovic warned the Colombian striker not to rest on his laurels and ordered Milan’s defence, having conceded six times already, to plug the holes.
“I’m very demanding with myself and my players. I’m never satisfied,” added Mihajlovic. “Bacca has scored three goals, but he could have had more.”
He added: “Tomorrow our objective is to not concede any goals. We know the areas in which we need to improve.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters
- Ronaldo blasts ‘lies’ over Man Utd future
- Where to find Sheffield United vs. Sunderland on US TV
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Rosario Central on US TV
- Where to find Dynamo Kyiv vs. Benfica on US TV
- Muscat shrugs off Iniesta threat as Asian Champions League returns
- USMNT World Cup kits real or fake? Combing through the clues