Berlin (AFP) – All 36 teams in Germany’s top two leagues will wear “We’re helping! #refugeeswelcome” logos on their shirts in this weekend’s fixtures to encourage fans to help amidst Europe’s immigration crisis. The logo will appear on the left sleeve of each club’s shirt and is a joint initiative between logistics company Hermes, who have waived the right to have their logo displayed for one weekend, and German daily Bild.
“We want to make it clear that everyone has to help, when and wherever they possibly can,” said Bayer Leverkusen’s director of sport Rudi Voeller, with soccer fans urged to get involved with helping provide support for refugees.
Germany is dealing with a flood of immigrants who travel up through the western Balkans and southern Europe from war-torn countries, with 20,000 arriving in Munich last weekend alone.
Individually, most Bundesliga clubs are either setting up or supporting initiatives to help the refugees. Bayern Munich have pledged one million euros ($1.1 million) and are setting up special coaching courses to provide meals, German lessons and equipment for refugee children. Wolfsburg have invited 1,200 refugees to Tuesday’s Champions League game against CSKA Moscow, and a euro from each ticket sold to the match will be donated to a charity supporting immigrants.
Last week, the German Football Association (DFB) announced a three-year extension to their “1-0 for a welcome” program, which sees some 600 clubs involved with projects to integrate immigrants through football.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Klopp confident Salah, Van Dijk fit for Champions League final
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dream
- Clint Dempsey joins FOX Sports for World Cup 2022 coverage
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dreams
- Chiellini says goodbye to Juve fans as last-gasp Lazio make Europa League
- Blackpool’s Daniels ends 32-year wait for gay UK male footballer to come out
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV