Don’t know TV Azteca? For most of the U.S., there’s a good reason for that. The Mexican broadcaster is a player in the FMF soccer world and will be broadcasting Oct. 10’s Confederations Cup playoff between the United States and Mexico, but unless you’re a Spanish speaker or a Liga MX diehard, you’ve probably never ventured onto the network.
Today, however, Azteca made a name for itself among a new batch of U.S.-based fans with one of the more entertaining promotional spots in recent memory. Capitalizing on the ongoing Donald Trump craze, Azteca took comments from the presidential candidate’s infamous candidacy announcement to promote its upcoming coverage.
The full video, which can be seen, above, had over 60,000 views at the time of this posting – mere hours after the clip went public. Some of the highlights:
- As Trump says, “When Mexico sends its people (to the United States), they’re not sending their best,” Azteca edits in video of Cuauhtémoc Blanco, Jorge Campos, and Giovania dos Santos, all of whom have played in Major League Soccer.
- When Trump says, “Our country is in serious trouble,” Azteca intersperses video of El Tri goals among the confused expressions of Michael Bradley, Landon Donovan, Oguchi Onyewu, Tim Howard and Bob Bradley.
- When Trump says, “[The U.S. doesn’t] have victories anymore,” Azteca cuts to dos Santos’s famous goal in the 2011 Gold Cup final – Bob Bradley’s final game in charge of the U.S.
The clip ends with Trump bombastically pronouncing “the American dream is dead,” as if Azteca’s producers had secretly written his announcement speech with this video in mind.
No matter what you think of Trump’s politics, it’s an ingenious use of what’s become a notorious speech. If FOX Sports can offer a similar response — being it building on Miguel Herrera’s airport decorum or Ricardo Ferretti’s sideline “tactics” — we might get a buildup that matches the hype of the much-anticipated playoff.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams
- PSG’s Gueye asked to explain absence after homophobia accusations
- Europa League Final on TV: Rangers vs. Frankfurt details
- Liverpool’s Klopp has ‘no reason’ to talk to Gerrard before title climax
- Where to find Rangers vs. Frankfurt Europa League Final TV