This December, beIN SPORTS will televise live La Liga games on Christmas Eve (December 24) and New Year’s Eve (December 31) as a way to condense the season given that the Spanish league will end earlier than usual this season due to the Euro 2016 competition.
The Spanish Primera League typically takes a winter break, but with the Euro 2016 tournament kicking off on June 10 (and players required to have a break in between the end of their club season and an international tournament), La Liga had to find a creative way to squeeze all 38 gameweeks into the season.
Christmas Eve this year is on a Thursday night, while New Year’s Eve is the following Thursday.
While La Liga hasn’t announced which teams will be playing on December 24 and 31, there’s the prospect of games being featured that could include Real Madrid vs. Rayo Vallecano or Real Madrid vs. Real Sociedad and/or Barcelona vs. Real Betis, among other fixtures.
SEE MORE: View the La Liga 2015/16 TV schedule for viewers in the US.
“I think that for this [US] market, this is going to be very beneficial because there’s already a tradition with Thanksgiving Day dinner with American football,” beIN SPORTS Deputy Managing Director Antonio Briceno said during an interview with World Soccer Talk. “So, maybe now we can see if this can become a staple and we can have very good La Liga games during the holidays.”
Historically, English football has often had games played on Boxing Day (December 26, the day after Christmas) as well as New Year’s Day, which is often one of the most enjoyable weeks in the Premier League calendar. Now that La Liga playing games over the holidays in December, we can only hope that this becomes an annual tradition.
What’s your opinion about La Liga games being played on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve? Would those fit in well with your schedule, or do they come at a busy time of the year where you may be busy with family obligations? Let us know in the comments section below.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Brazil against replaying abandoned Argentina World Cup qualifier
- Real Madrid defeat Eintracht Frankfurt to win fifth UEFA Super Cup
- Silva says Man City know what he wants amid Barcelona links
- Zamalek president jailed for insulting rival
- Peacock TV wishlist of improvements to enhance streaming service
- ‘Very good’: Werner says Flick encouraged him to return to Leipzig
- Alexis Sanchez joins Marseille after leaving Inter
- CAF launches new Super League to boost clubs
- Qatar World Cup start brought forward to November 20: sources
- Qatar World Cup to start a day early on November 20: sources