Liverpool have announced the signing of Nigerian forward Taiwo Awoniyi, who will immediately head out on loan with FSV Frankfurt. The 18-year-old, who joins the Reds having previously represented Imperial Academy in Nigeria, is to spend the rest of the season on loan with the second division German side. Liverpool are understood to have paid around £400,000 for Awoniyi’s services.
SEE MORE: Up-to-the-minute transfer deadline deals.
He told the club’s official website:
“This is the biggest club in the world and I’m privileged to be here.
“I’ll try to develop myself very well so that when I come back to Liverpool I’ll be able to add value to the team.
“When I’m in the red shirt, I will always give my very best to make the fans happy.”
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) August 31, 2015
Awoniyi is a current Nigeria Under-23 international. He has also played for the Super Eagles at the Under-17 and Under-20 World Cups, and earned a call-up for the senior Nigeria squad in 2013.
The news of his signing comes on the same day that three players have left Liverpool.
Striker Fabio Borini was first to have his exit confirmed on Monday, joining Sunderland on a four-year-deal for what is understood to be a fee of £8 million with a further £2 million of add-ons.
It has also been announced that striker Samed Yesil and teenage midfielder Sergi Canos have both gone out on loan, joining Swiss side FC Luzern and Brentford respectively.
Yesil’s deal is also a season-long loan switch. The 21-year-old German signed for Liverpool from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer of 2012 and went on to make two first-team appearances for the Merseysiders in his first campaign with them, his only ones to date.
Canos has agreed a deal that will see him work with the Sky Bet Championship side until Jan. 3.
The 18-year-old Spaniard, yet to make a senior appearance for Liverpool, joined the Reds in the summer of 2013 from Barcelona. He is a product of the Catalan giants’ famed La Masia academy.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family