Zinedine Zidane is among the candidates to take charge of the Ligue Un side Olympique Marseille, following the surprise resignation of manger Marcelo Biesla last weekend.
Bielsa announced his resignation minutes after Marseille’s opening day league defeat to Caen on Saturday. The 60-year-old was just starting his second campaign in charge of the French club, having finished in fourth place last season. The Argentine coach has since been linked to the vacant Mexico job.
Following Biesla’s departure, Marseille have drawn up a list of candidates to step in, with Zidane rumored to be the club’s number one choice.
The former France international is currently in charge of Real Madrid Castilla and has been tipped by many to be the future manager of the senior squad. Just last season, the 43-year-old was being considered as a possible replacement to Carlo Ancelotti in the weeks leading up to the former Madrid boss’ sacking. The club ultimately decided to go with Napoli coach Rafa Benitez because the consensus was that Zidane was not quite ready to assume control of one of the biggest side’s in the world.
SEE MORE: View the Ligue Un TV schedule for viewers in the US.
Marseille know that hiring Zidane would be a major boost for the club’s supporters following the shock departure of Bielsa. The legendary French player was born in La Castellane, an area of Marseille, and despite never having played for Olympique, is idolized by fans of the local club. In the past, Zidane has spoken of his regret for never having played for Marseille and that he would always consider moving back to his hometown.
The French daily L’Equipe carried out an online survey amongst their readers on who they felt should be the new coach. Former Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp topped the list with 30% of the vote, former OM coach Eric Gerets came in second with Zidane receiving the third most votes.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Gibbs-White becomes Nottingham Forest’s 16th summer signing
- BG Pathum end Kitchee’s Asian Champions League dream
- Man Utd closing in on Real Madrid’s Casemiro – reports
- Where to find LA Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders on US TV
- Where to find Norwich City vs. Millwall on US TV
- Indian women footballers face uncertain future after FIFA ban
- Napoli on the up after hot start, big transfer deals
- Werner says Leipzig can still ‘annoy’ Bayern despite early season stumbles
- Liverpool clash threatens more misery for Man Utd
- Barcelona looking for ‘patience’ despite spending spree