Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham will announce a new signing in the next few days.
Spurs have signed three defenders in Kieran Trippier, Toby Alderweireld and Kevin Wimmer so far this summer, but with Roberto Soldado and Emmanuel Adebayor both expected to leave the club, Harry Kane is at risk of becoming their sole senior striker.
"We have our target, I think in the next few days maybe something (will) happen," said Pochettino, ahead of Tottenham's trip to Old Trafford on Saturday to face Manchester United in the opening fixture of the new Barclays Premier League season.
"No worries about that and the people won't worry about the team because we have a lot of good players that can play like a striker.
"We need to be (more) solid than last season because we scored a lot of goals but the problem was we conceded a lot of goals. If we are more solid maybe we can reduce the gap with the top four."
Pochettino continues to be linked with transfers for Stuttgart's Timo Werner, QPR forward Charlie Austin and West Brom's Saido Berahino.
The latter would likely cost in the region of £20million and represent a transfer policy Spurs have avoided since their disappointing summer in 2013, when the world-record £86million received from the sale of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid was largely squandered.
Sporting director Franco Baldini's reputation has suffered as a consequence but while Pochettino dismissed reports that the Italian is to leave the club, he also said that Spurs' ability to develop talents like Kane prevents them from needing to spend as they did in 2013, as their rivals – including Liverpool, who paid £32.5million for Christian Benteke – continue to do.
"Maybe Liverpool tried to find their Harry Kane but we have Harry Kane," he said.
"The people is very happy that our striker is Harry Kane. If you want to find players to compete with or improve Harry Kane it's not easy.
"My vision is (it's) better to sign a player from England but it's true that the market in England is crazy, it's not easy. It's better to bring some players from England but it's not easy, maybe you need to bring some players from Europe.
"(Baldini's not leaving), nothing changed from the last season. Nothing's changed."
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family