Southampton have completed the loan signing of QPR defender Steven Caulker, Press Association Sport understands.
Toby Alderweireld's decision to join Tottenham and a serious knee injury sustained by Florin Gardos has heightened the need to bring in defensive reinforcements at St Mary's.
Saints manager Ronald Koeman has spoken of his wish to acquire at least one more centre-back, as well as add some extra height in defence – a role it appears Caulker will now help fill.
Signed by QPR last summer, reports suggest Caulker moves with a view to an £8million permanent transfer – the amount QPR paid to bring him in from Cardiff last year.
The center-back will be looking to avoid a third straight relegation from the Premier League at Saints and to add to his sole England cap won three years ago.
“I’m very pleased and very excited. This club has done fantastically well, especially over the last two years.
“To now join this club and to be a part of it for this year is something I’ve proud of.
“As soon as I got the phone call to say a fee was agreed with Southampton, I was delighted to get the opportunity to come and play under a great manager.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Southampton has early red flags in this Premier League campaign
- Sarr both Watford’s hero and villain in West Brom draw
- Everton sign England’s Coady on season-long loan from Wolves
- Dortmund complete Modeste signing from Cologne
- Darkhorse Denmark brings recent triumphs to World Cup 2022
- Former Man Utd star Giggs accused of ‘litany of abuse’ at assault trial
- Holders Wydad Casablanca among 58 CAF Champions League hopefuls
- 2022/23 LaLiga prediction: What will the final table look like?
- African players in Europe: Salah, Mane score as season starts
- Three talking points from the Premier League’s opening weekend