After acquiring the right to sign Didier Drogba, the Chicago Fire have traded the Ivorian national for allocation money to the Montreal Impact according to the team’s official website. Not officially a part of the roster just yet, Drogba must first obtain his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) as well as his Canadian work permit.
When Chicago first filed a “discovery claim” on Drogba after the striker expressed interest in playing within MLS, the Fire started to pursue his talents and expected him to sign a contract. However Drogba quickly stated that he preferred to play in Montreal, the other team who had expressed interest and the Fire worked out a deal with the Impact.
According to multiple sources, the current deal will be set at $3 million a year for 18-months and once all permits are obtained and the deal is signed, Drogba will become available for selection.
“It’s an honor to welcome Didier Drogba to the Impact,” said Impact President Joey Saputo in a statement released on the team website. Multiple leaders within the team’s front office expressed their excitement in the release, especially Technical Director Adam Braz, “He’s demonstrated his qualities as a striker at the highest level in Europe. His instinct in front of the goal, his experience and his leadership are all attributes that will help the team on the field.”
Drogba has twice won the Premier League’s Golden Boot award, once in the 2006-07 season as well as the 2009-10 season. The striker has won the Premier League title four times, FA cup four times, the UEFA Champions League once and is the fourth all time leading goal scorer for Chelsea with 163 goals throughout his 9 years with the London club.
After debuting with the Ivory Coast National team in 2002, Drogba scored the team’s first goal in a World Cup in 2006. He captained Les Éléphants during the 2010 and 2014 World Cups and was a part of the team that reached the African Cup of Nations finals in 2006 and 2012.
Montreal is currently sitting in 6th place and could use a leader like Drogba to help add to the goal tally as well as give them a push heading into the second half of the season. A player with a strong presence up front, like Drogba could help immensely as the team prepare for the playoffs.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family