With pre-season friendly matches getting into swing, the transfer window has settled down over the past seven days. But there has still been some astute business conducted by Premier League teams.
In the top 20 of our complete rankings this week, we have four new entries. Here’s a closer examination of this week’s best details and the updated spreadsheet containing all of the deals done so far.
1. Petr Cech – Arsenal: 27/30
2. Morgan Schneiderlin – Manchester United: 27/30
3. Yohan Cabaye – Crystal Palace: 26/30
4. Nathaniel Clyne – Liverpool: 26/30
5. Toby Alderweireld – Tottenham Hotspur: 25/30
6. Jordy Clasie – Southampton: 25/30
7. Gerard Deulofeu – Everton: 25/30
8. Memphis Depay – Manchester United: 25/30
9. Roberto Firmino – Liverpool: 25/30
10. James Milner – Liverpool: 25/30
11. Bastian Schweinsteiger – Manchester United: 25/30
12. Raheem Sterling – Manchester City: 25/30
13. Andre Ayew – Swansea City: 24/30
14. Christian Benteke – Liverpool: 24/30
15. Fabian Delph – Manchester City: 24/30
16. Danny Ings – Liverpool: 24/30
17. Tyrone Mings – Bournemouth: 24/30
18. Aleksandar Mitrovic – Newcastle: 24/30
19. Cedric Soares – Southampton: 24/30
20. Giorginio Wijnaldum – Newcastle: 24/30
Players on same score are listed alphabetically. For the full set of rankings, click here.
=5. Jordy Clasie – Southampton
The man leading our rankings at the moment alongside Petr Cech is Morgan Schneiderlin and the player who’ll be tasked with filling the void left by the Frenchman at Southampton is Jordy Clasie. While he may not be stylistically similar to the club’s former midfielder, the Oranje star possesses the flair to light up the Premier League.
While much of Schneiderlin’s game is based on bossing games with a mixture of forcefulness and finesse, Clasie, of sleight somatotype, is a much more technical talent. It may take him a time to adapt to the rigorous nature of the Premier League, but Saints boss Ronald Koeman has plucked a gem from the Eredivisie in the 24-year-old.
=13. Christian Benteke – Liverpool
Liverpool’s forward options were well short of the standard required last season and in Christian Benteke, they’ve added a player who will bring an exciting dimension to their offensive forays. During his time at Aston Villa, the burly Belgian has been a tremendous goalscorer, but questions remain about whether he’ll suit the Reds’ style.
Benteke thrived under Tim Sherwood towards the back end of last season for a Villa team who were happy to cross the ball in regularly, supplying Benteke with the service needed to showcase his aerial dominance. He won’t get that kind of service at Anfield, but if the forward can take his goalscoring form to Merseyside, Liverpool have a player who can help the team rediscover their attacking swagger.
=13. Fabian Delph – Manchester City
After making a major u-turn when deciding first to leave, then to stay and then to leave Aston Villa once again, Fabian Delph has finally become a Manchester City player. The England midfielder has been criticized by some for his choice, but after blossoming for the Villains in recent seasons, Delph will fancy his chances of making an impression at the Etihad Stadium.
He’s not a long-term replacement for Yaya Toure by any means, but the midfielder will add balance, drive and tenacity to the core of a team looking for the Premier League title. For a reported fee of £8 million, the England international definitely represents money well spent, too.
=13. Aleksandar Mitrovic – Newcastle
After landing one of the continent’s brightest young talents already in Giorginio Wijnaldum, Newcastle have signed another in Anderlecht’s Aleksandar Mitrovic. The forward has been rated as one of the most exciting up-and-coming strikers in Europe for a while now and will now have his opportunity to make his mark in a top quality league.
There have been lingering questions about Mitrovic’s poor attitude, but the prospect of playing in front of the fervent fans at St. James’ Park should draw extra focus from the Serbia international. After all, there are few better places in the Premier League to become a popular centre-forward and Mitrovic certainly has the class to do exactly that.
Follow Matt on Twitter @MattJFootball
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family