Connect with us

Arsenal

Robin van Persie rips Louis van Gaal but praises Arsene Wenger

robin-van-persie

Former Manchester United and Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has vented his feelings towards his former boss at Old Trafford.  The 31-year-old forward did not have many positives words to say about Louis van Gaal following his switch to the Turkish club Fenerbahce.

Van Persie suggested that there was a turning point in his relationship with the United manager after an April Premier League match against Chelsea, a game in which the star striker was left on the bench during a 1-0 defeat to the eventual league champions.

“I asked to play in the reserves, to get my minutes, but after was on the bench again,” van Persie told the Sunday Times.  “The atmosphere changed between me and Louis and people at the club saw it, but I was always professional.”

“But I was still thinking we could come back from holiday and start from scratch.  He had changed his mind about me before.  When he took over Holland he said to me, ‘You’re the number three striker.’ I was, ‘O…K…’ but I fought and became the number one and his captain.”

The forward continued, ”But when I came back, it wasn’t an honest battle any more. Fighting to get back in the team wasn’t given me as an option.  He was sending me to Pitch Two.  And I’m a mature player.  I’m not stupid.  I didn’t get angry or emotional.  These things are part of football, part of life.  You have to make the best out of any situation so I’m doing this by moving on.”

SEE MOREWill the real Robin van Persie please stand up?

“I know Louis as a national team coach and now I get to know him as a club coach.  And there is a difference.”

While van Persie’s relationship with van Gaal wasn’t great, the former Arsenal player claimed that he has the utmost respect for Gunner manager Arsene Wenger.  “Arsene is my football father,” said van Persie.  “He raised me from being a little kid, as a footballer. What he does, for players young and old, is create an environment where you feel the trust like one big family.”

“People think there was an argument between us.  On the contrary, we always had a lot of respect for each other.  We just had some different views at the time and I’m still talking to Arsene regularly now.  He is a world class coach and manager and above all, a classy man. Trust, respect, that goes two ways.  That’s what Arsène gives, what Sir Alex gives, that’s what the great managers give you.”

Van Persie left the north London club in 2012 after disagreeing with the team’s brass “on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.”  Nonetheless, Arsenal captured more trophies over the last three seasons than van Persie did during his time with Manchester United.

The Netherlands international moves to Turkey following 11 seasons in the Premier League (eight with Arsenal and three with Manchester United).  Van Persie scored 190 goals during his time in England and won the FA Cup with the Gunners in 2005 and the Premier League title in his first season with United.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
18 Comments

18 Comments

1. Nicolaus Silver

September 7, 2015 at 5:09 am

RVP is a professional player and all these guys do their best even when their time is up thru age or injury they find satisfaction where they can play than sit on the bench. The manager is the Chess player and uses whatever tactics he thinks apt for any given match, season and competition.

So all this juvenile back chat achieves nothing other than show up what juvenile mindsets exist in the stands. Don’t let your passion and loyalties freeze your intellect…..if your favourite colour is blue does that mean you have to bet Trap 2 in the dog derby and Chelsea in EPL?

Don’t believe what teachers may have said about you, because all of you have talent and prove their bias wrong lads and start with being laid back and logical with a smile on your face when you win some bet or start a good business.

Enjoy the season and share the fun with some smart observations and humour…..as you have done many times with John Terry, that goal keeper and many other celebrity players.

Cheers

Kev in Oz

2. Fred the Red

July 21, 2015 at 8:49 am

He’s also collected one more league title than Arsenal in that span and he’s made it to two more Champions league quarterfinals in that span than Arsenal.
    No player inherently owes a club anything and vice versa. This is a results based business and RVP made the right career choice. He made more money and won a league title.
    It’s not like he left when Arsenal were world beaters. He left to a team that was challenging at age 29.

• jtm371

July 21, 2015 at 8:56 am

Spot on great post.

MUFC would have never won their last title without RVP. I would be careful what I called him on his way out.

• MntD

July 21, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Let me guess, you guy’s are big fans of guys like Anelka and Tevez as well?

I prefer my footballers loyal and hard-working, not that they cannot ever move to another club but then to turn around and immediately praise a Manager who you left high and dry and bash another one because you weren’t up to par at the time.

• Fred the Red

July 21, 2015 at 7:55 pm

I love the Giggs and Scholes of the world but come on why aren’t you blaming Arsenal. The club foolishly sold a player to a rival in the same league that’s not smart.
        When Heinze wanted to leave for Liverpool SAF said no, when Rooney wanted out to Chelsea and the other Manchester club once again a resounding NO. You don’t sell to domestic rivals that’s a sure fire way to shoot yourself in the foot. That’s on Arsenal. They’d have been better letting him leave on a free or taking less money from a foreign club. None of that is Van Persie’s fault. Blame the club and especially Wenger for taking the money but at the same time damaging the team. Dortmund were in the same situation with Lewandowski and they kept him for the final year instead of taking the money from Bayern.

• MntD

July 21, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Red – why would we do that? According to the man himself Arsene can do no wrong.

3. MntD

July 21, 2015 at 7:24 am

This from the guy that left his respected Arsene and club high and dry.

In another post I thought playing in Turkey was a major step down for RVP. Now I feel it’s very fitting for someone with his Judas-like qualities. I’m sure he’s collected his thirty silver coins.

• jtm371

July 21, 2015 at 8:44 am

I love it you get all indignant when I called Rooney Shrek but you have no problem calling RVP Judas. That is precious. Enjoy 🙂

• MntD

July 21, 2015 at 12:20 pm

…and your point is what?

Did I make fun of how he looks, how he dresses, etc. NOPE.

You see what I did there was talk about a specific trait/behavior he clearly demonstrates/talks about and compare it to someone. What I didn’t do that you frequently do is talk about someone’s physical appereance, dress, etc. All things that have nothing to do with football. You sir are a keyboard warrior who likes to pick on people’s looks but has yet to post one of yourself.

Keep up the good fight keyboard warrior!

• jtm371

July 21, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Other than Shrek lets have another example. Waiting.

• MntD

July 21, 2015 at 9:11 pm

You’ve already lost warrior stop. Also, stop giving yourself a thumbs up it’s sad.

• jtm371

July 21, 2015 at 9:30 pm

If your going to accuse someone please back it up with facts. Waiting.

• MntD

July 21, 2015 at 10:11 pm

So sad.

• MntD

July 21, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Silly comparison jtm371. Still waiting on that pic. I’m sure you’re quite the specimen of good health and looks.

• Flyvanescence

July 21, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Calm down girls, lets not get to hair-pulling 😀

• MntD

July 21, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Funny,I’ll give you that flyvanescence

• jtm371