Last weekend, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez traveled to Qatar to hold talks with the owners of Paris Saint-Germain regarding the potential transfer of Cristiano Ronaldo, according to a report in France Football.
The bi-weekly French magazine states that Perez is ready to negotiate a deal which would see Ronaldo leave the Santiago Bernabeu in the Summer of 2016, when the contract of striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic is scheduled to run out.
While this was only the first time officials from both clubs have sat down to discuss the potential transfer, talks are expected to continue in the near future. The French champions are holding out hope that they can convince the Real Madrid president to sell Ronaldo this summer – even though that is unlikely.
Recently, Paris Saint-Germain had its Financial Fair Play restrictions lifted and the Ligue Un champions are looking to make a big splash in the transfer window.
SEE MORE — Watch Cristiano Ronaldo’s amazing career moments at Man United and Real Madrid (video).
The club has already been linked with big money moves for Manchester United winger Angel di Maria and Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba.
Even though a potential Ronaldo transfer would likely take place next summer, the arrival of the three-time Ballon d’Or winner would be a massive statement and could prove to be the final piece towards helping PSG reach the summit of European soccer.
While Perez is open to the idea of selling Ronaldo – who is under contact to Real Madrid until 2018 – PSG would still have to include Valencia owner Peter Lim in any deal for the Portuguese winger; Lim recently bought the player’s image rights.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ