Valencia defender Nicolas Otamendi will not be Sergio Ramos’ replacement at Real Madrid next season, according to the player’s agent.
Otamendi has expressed his desire to leave Spain this summer with Manchester United being tipped to be the Argentine center-back’s next destination.
According to numerous reports, the 27-year-old has already agreed personal terms with United and will make around £6 million per season once the English club meets Valencia’s £35 million valuation of the defender.
In May, the player’s agent Eugenio Lopez told Cadena SER that his client wished to leave Valencia and had informed the club’s president Amadeo Salvo of his desire to leave the Mestalla.
Last month, Otamendi told the media that the words of his representative were made with his complete authorization.
“I’ve had a talk with the Valencia president and my agent, and he knows what my wish is,” the defender said.
“Valencia know very well what I want. From there, every word my agent says is obviously with my authorization.”
It is understood that the Argentine’s desire was to have his transfer finalized around the time of the conclusion of the Copa America in early July.
However, due to the continuous news emanating from the Spanish capital of the fallout between Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and the team’s vice-captain Sergio Ramos, Otamendi’s move to Manchester United has been put on hold.
United have now turned their attention towards landing the 29-year-old Spain international, with speculation linking Otamendi as Real Madrid’s number one choice to replace Ramos should the defender ultimately decide to leave the Bernabeu this summer.
However, during an interview with the Spanish radio station Cadena Cope, Otamendi’s agent Eugenio Lopez stated that the Argentine centre-back will already be playing for his new club should Ramos eventually move on to Manchester United.
“Before Sergio Ramos leaves Real Madrid – if he does leave – Otamendi will be playing for another club,” Lopez said.
It has been well publicized that Otamendi has set his sights on playing in England and the player has reportedly been lured by the opportunity of playing alongside his friend and national team defensive partner Marcos Rojo at Manchester United next season.
However, if United spend too much time dwelling on the Sergio Ramos transfer saga, Otamendi’s representative may ultimately push the player to give serious consideration to other offers.
It has been reported that Manchester City have also shown an interest in signing the Argentine defender.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more