FOX’s live coverage of the 2015 Women’s World Cup semi-final between the United States and Germany was viewed by 8.4 million million people watched the Tuesday night game. The match was shown live on the over-air FOX network from 7pm to 9pm ET, and is the most-watched broadcast on FOX since the April 1 edition of American Idol.
While an average of 8.4 million people watched the broadcast, it peaked at 12.1 million between 8:30-8:45 p.m. ET.
The 2015 USA-Germany semifinal is now the third most-watched women’s soccer match of all time. The numbers for USA-Germany beat FOX’s coverage of USA against China in the quarter-finals of the 2015 Women’s World Cup, which was watched by an audience of 5.7 million.
The audience for USA-China on FOX (8.4 million) is +147% better than the audience for the USA’s semifinal match in 2011 vs. France on ESPN (3.4 million).
USA-Germany is the most-watched World Cup semifinal match – men’s or women’s -ever in the U.S., breaking the mark set for the Germany-Italy 2006 World Cup semifinal (5.9 million).
Top ratings for USA vs. Germany:
1. Kansas City and St Louis, 9.3
3. Washington DC, 9.0
4. Austin, 7.8
5. Cincinnati and Columbus, 4.7
After defeating Germany, the US Women’s National Team plays this Sunday in the Women’s World Cup final against the winner of tonight’s semi-final between Japan and England.
The question for FOX now is whether this Sunday’s Women’s World Cup Final can set a US record for the most-watched women’s soccer game ever. The current record stands at 17,975,000 that watched the 1999 Women’s World Cup Final when the US beat China on penalty kicks, which was televised live on ABC.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Fiorentina beat Juve to reach Conference League, Atalanta out of Europe
- ‘Very happy’ Mbappe snubs Real Madrid to stay at PSG
- Lyon beat Barca to claim eighth Women’s Champions League
- Which countries are FIFA World Cup rivals?
- Rangers lift Scottish Cup trophy after Europa League heartache
- Mbappe set to snub Real Madrid and stay at PSG
- Rangers win Scottish Cup to erase Europa League heartache
- Kaizer Chiefs draw and miss out on Africa next season
- La Liga president calls Mbappe PSG deal ‘insult to football’
- Mbappe chooses to stay at PSG in Real snub: reports