Valencia defender Nicolas Otamendi has expressed his desire to leave Spain this summer with Manchester United being tipped to be the Argentine center-back’s next destination.
According to numerous reports, the 27-year-old has already agreed personal terms with United and will make around £6 million per season once the English club meets Valencia’s £35 million valuation of the defender.
In May, the player’s agent Eugenio Lopez told Cadena SER that his client wished to leave Valencia and had informed the club’s president Amadeo Salvo of his desire to leave the Mestalla.
Earlier this month, Otamendi told the media that the words of his representative were made with his complete authorization.
“I’ve had a talk with the Valencia president and my agent, and he knows what my wish is,” the defender said.
“Valencia know very well what I want. From there, every word my agent says is obviously with my authorization.”
It is understood that the Argentine’s desire was to have his transfer finalized around the time of the conclusion of the Copa America in early July.
However, due to the continuous news emanating from the Spanish capital of an apparent fallout between Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and team vice-captain Sergio Ramos, Otamendi’s move to Manchester United has been put on hold.
United have now turned their attention towards landing the 29-year-old Spain international. The English club has reportedly had an initial bid of £28.3 million rejected by the Spanish giants and are rumored to be preparing a second bid of £65 million for the Ramos’ services.
Although the majority of United fans see the 29-year-old’s motives as a way for the defender to use their club as leverage to get a better deal with Real Madrid, officials at Old Trafford cannot afford to take any chances. They must continue showing an interest in signing the veteran player until Ramos signs, Real Madrid’s financial demands become too much, or the player ultimately decides to remain in Spain.
Until then, Nicolas Otamendi’s future will remain in limbo.
Regardless of any developments with Sergio Ramos, Otamendi will leave Valencia this summer. The La Liga side needs to make several signings and must sell the defender in order to square club accounts.
Should Ramos ultimately decide to remain with Real Madrid, Otamendi’s transfer to Manchester United will follow shortly thereafter, as the Premier League club is ready to negotiate the player’s fee with Valencia.
But, if Ramos surprises the football world and joins Manchester United – for what would have to be a record fee for a defender – Otamendi will likely be signed as the veteran Spain international’s replacement at Real Madrid next season.
In the meantime, Otamendi’s future will remain in limbo.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more