Premiering at the Kicking and Screening Soccer Film Festival at New York City’s Tribeca in late June is the Swansea City documentary titled “Jack to a King: The Swansea Story”. The showing is scheduled for June 23, the same day as the DVD and iTunes download will be available for the first time in the United States.
“Jack to a King” tells the story of Swansea City‘s journey from £4 million in debt to a Championship Playoff Final and into the promised land of the Premier League. Following the sale of the club for £1 to a group of teachers, construction workers and travel agents, “Jack to a King” chronicles the story behind the struggle to keep the doors open and how this group of first-time soccer owners found themselves in the Royal Box of Wembley Stadium watching Swansea in the Play Off Final for the £90 million game 10 years later.
Currently “Jack to a King” is the UK’s highest grossing soccer documentary and has received numerous amounts of praise. FILM3SIXTY magazine stated, “Truly incredible, touching and uplifting… Whether you’re a fan of the beautiful game or not.”
“The film is like UNDER MILKWOOD meets GLADIATOR. The scale is enormous because at the end it’s Wembley with 90,000 supporters and you’re in the tunnel going out into battle. But it starts with all these local people talking very funnily and passionately about their club and why they did what they did at the time,” said executive producer Mal Pope.
This documentary follows the ups and downs of Swansea City and tells the story of corruption, management changes as well as ownership changes and more. Included in the film is the story of how one man took out £20,000, put it in a Tesco shopping bag and tried to buy a soccer club. Finishing the journey, we see Brendan Rodgers lead Swansea to the Championship Playoff Final and how the four men who purchased the club all those years ago felt not only that day but in the years prior.
The team behind this film include director Marc Evans, Academy Award winning associate producer James Marsh, as well as Mal Pope and Edward Thomas as executive producers.
Following the New York premiere, the ‘Swansea Party’ will head to Washington for a special screening at the British Embassy.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family