Preparation for this summer’s Gold Cup is ramping up for the USMNT. Jurgen Klinsmann has said that the US will not get better unless they play the top teams in the world. The next two friendlies are certainly against two of the world’s top teams: Netherlands and Germany, both of whom made it to the semi-finals of the 2014 World Cup.
The US roster was released on Sunday and almost immediately a change had to be made as Jermaine Jones picked up a groin injury in the first half of the New England Revolution’s 2-2 draw with the LA Galaxy and will miss these next two games. With Jozy Altidore also missing these friendlies with an injury, Aron Johnannsson now has a chance to really step up and stake a claim to a consistent starting spot. Overall this roster, as has often been the case over the last eight months, has a blend of youth and experience. Brad Guzan, Michael Bradley, and Kyle Beckerman all come in with plenty of international experience, while Gyasi Zardes and Ventura Alvarado have only started receiving call ups this year.
After an alarming trend of conceding late into games and an even more alarming trend of not winning games, it seems as though the US has gotten back onto the right track. The US went on a stretch of winless in five straight and seven of eight. But with the 2-0 win over Mexico in April, the US is now unbeaten in three of their last four. With the Gold Cup fast approaching, the US will need as much positive momentum as possible heading into the tournament.
For the Netherlands it’s been a frustrating time since finishing third in Brazil. It was supposed to be a smooth transition with Guus Hiddink taking over from Louis van Gaal until after Euro 2016 when Danny Blind will take over. It’s been close to a disaster. Their record since the World Cup sits at 3-4-1 and they are currently in third in Group A of Euro 2016 qualifying behind the Czech Republic and Iceland. The Dutch released their roster for this game and their Euro qualifier against Latvia, last week. The headliners include Robin van Persie, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Memphis Depay and Wesley Sneijder.
- Clint Dempsey was not called into this camp due to the birth of his fourth child.
- On Sunday, Jurgen Klinsmann named Brad Guzan as the starting goalkeeper for the Gold Cup.
- Four players on this roster have played in every USMNT game this year: Michael Bradley, Nick Rimando, DeAndre Yedlin, and Gyasi Zardes. Rimando has started every game, and Bradley has played every single minute.
USA trails 0-4-0
2 Netherlands USA 1
Next Game Up
USA @ Germany
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family