Connect with us

FIFA

FIFA President Sepp Blatter announces he will step down

sepp-blatter

FIFA President Sepp Blatter has announced that he will step down from his role as President as soon as a successor can be found.

Blatter has called for an extraordinary FIFA Congress to be scheduled where his successor will be named. At that time, he will step down from his post.

In a last minute press conference scheduled in Zurich, Blatter said the following:

“I have thoroughly considered my presidency and the last 40 years of my life. These years were closely related to FIFA and this wonderful sport of football.

“I appreciate and love FIFA more than anything else and I only want to do the best for football and for FIFA our institution.

“The challenges that FIFA is facing has not come to an end. FIFA needs to a profound restructuring. Although the members of FIFA, have given me a new mandate. This mandate does not appear to be supported by the rest of football.

“This is why I will call an extraordinary Congress and will step down from my role [after a new President will be elected].”

FIFA executive Domenico Scala closed the press conference by stating that FIFA realizes the need to change, and will be taking new measures to improve FIFA such as term limits for the FIFA President and FIFA members.

SEE MOREFIFA President Sepp Blatter being investigated by FBI as part of corruption scandal.

However, the extraordinary FIFA Congress to vote on the new FIFA President cannot be held for at least four months. It’s expected to happen later this year or early next year.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
11 Comments

11 Comments

1. Frill Artist

June 3, 2015 at 11:22 am

Another corrupt person will simply replace him. You can’t put too much power at the hands of one man.

2. jtm371

June 2, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Blatter’s cronies must leave they need to clean house. I really hope they don’t elect Platini he is old school no forward thinking.

Re vote on 2022 now end the madness in Qatar. 🙂

3. Smokey Bacon

June 2, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Even though the head of the snake is gone there is much to be done. Hopefully the dominos really start to fall now. All this because of our DOJ. Proud day for this country, perhaps its biggest contribution to the sport.

Hopefully the power shifts back from the minnows and the corrupt to the traditional soccer powerhouses of Europe and South America. No more can a soccer non entity like Qatar be handed the World Cup. I’m all for growing the game but not at the cost of backhanders and shady deals.

• jtm371

June 2, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Great post nothing to add. Spot on! 🙂

4. David

June 2, 2015 at 6:38 pm

This is great news, but if Michel Platini is Blatter’s successor, things won’t get much better with FIFA.

• Flyvanescence

June 2, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Nope, but he will start patronising Germany, Spain and France.

5. rkujay

June 2, 2015 at 4:00 pm

So much for “I am the president of…everything”.

I guess he’ll be cancelling his trip to Canada, thereby limiting his chances of extradition.

I think Matchbox 20 said it best. “This ain’t over”.

6. Cantona

June 2, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I will believe when I see it. The next congress is in 2016, I’m sure Blatter will stall and wait for Mexico, I doubt they will have one before then. I’m sure he hopes everyone will have a short memory and try to grab the reigns again. We need this disease out of football NOW.

Cantona—

7. yespage

June 2, 2015 at 1:52 pm

In with the new boss, same as the old boss.

8. Ivan

June 2, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Damn…

Again, damn…I wonder if they threatened him with jailtime…just last week he was defiant spewing hatred against the US/ UK saying it’s all a revenge for them not getting the 2018 and 2022 World Cups…

Dr. Evil is gone. Now what? Surely all the problems associated with FIFA aren’t just going to go away…there is a lot of money in play there.

9. Future Man

June 2, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Prince Ali Hussein: “Information that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!!!”

(more like last week, but that would have messed up the quote)