NBC Sports broke the record for the greatest average viewership of Premier League matches on US television when it averaged 479,000 viewers per game for the 2014/15 season. That was 9% greater than the 2013/14 average of 438,000. And the 2013/14 average was 114% greater than the 2012/13 average of 220,000 viewers when the games were on FOX Sports, ESPN and ESPN2.
From 2012/13 when FOX Sports and ESPN had the Premier League rights, NBC Sports has grown the average viewing audience by a whopping 1178 to its current 479,000 average.
Other milestones that NBC Sports hit this season included:
1. NBC aired 3 of the 4 most-watched live Premier League matches in U.S. TV history this season, including Manchester United-Arsenal on Saturday, Nov. 22, which averaged 1.41 million viewers to rank as the most-watched live Premier League match in U.S. history.
2. In just two years televising the Premier League, 12 of the 15 most-watched PL matches in U.S. TV history have aired on NBC and NBCSN, including seven during the 2014-15 season.
3. NBCSN has televised 4 of the 5 most-watched Premier League matches in U.S. cable history, including Manchester United-Manchester City on Sunday, April 12, which averaged 1.13 million viewers to rank as the most-watched Premier League match in U.S. cable television history.
4. NBCSN’s Liverpool-Manchester United match on Sunday, March 22 averaged 950,000 viewers to rank as the most-watched early morning (before 10 a.m. ET) Premier League match in U.S. television history.
5. NBC’s Arsenal-Crystal Palace match on Saturday, Aug. 16 averaged 885,000 viewers, ranking as the most-watched opening weekend match in U.S. history.
6. Viewers consumed a record total of 317 million minutes of live Premier League action via NBC Sports Live Extra during the 2014-15 season – up 22% from last season.
7. Coverage on Wednesday, March 4, set a single-day Premier League live-streaming record for minutes NBC Sports Live Extra (7.7 million) and included seven matches.
8. Chelsea’s 1-0 win against Manchester United on Saturday, April 18, ranks as the most-streamed weekend PL match in history, with more than 85,000 uniques on NBC Sports Live Extra.
Plus, now that the 2014/15 Premier League season has wrapped up, we can look back at the many benchmarks and new additions that NBC Sports added, which included:
“Tactical Cam” — NBC Sports Live Extra’s high-sideline camera showing all 22 players on the pitch at the same time — enabling fans to see formations and evaluate each team’s attacking and defending tactics — was introduced for the Monday, Aug. 25, Manchester City-Liverpool match.