Connect with us

Arsenal

Nigerian billionaire wants to buy Arsenal

arsenal-emirates-stadium

Africa's richest man Aliko Dangote claims he still harbors hopes of one day buying Arsenal.

The Nigerian has an estimated fortune of $15 billion (£10.4billion) and is reported to have wanted to buy into the Gunners when former director Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith was selling her shares in 2010.

Arsenal's current majority shareholder is American tycoon Stan Kroenke, who remains committed to the Barclays Premier League club for the long-term. Uzbek magnate Alisher Usmanov controls around 30 per cent and has also expressed no desire to offload any of his stock.

Nevertheless Dangote, whose business interests include sugar, flour and oil, remains keen to become part of the Emirates Stadium club sometime in the future.

Speaking to Bloomberg, he said: "I still hope, one day at the right price, that I will buy the team.

"I might buy it, not at a ridiculous price but a price that the owners won't want to resist. I know my strategy."

Dangote, though, added no imminent bid was in the pipeline.

"We have 16billion dollars-worth of investments in the next few years. Right now I want to take my own business to a certain level. Once I finish on that trajectory, then maybe," he said.

Arsenal beat Hull 3-1 on Monday night to give themselves a good chance to finish second behind Premier League champions Chelsea, and will face Aston Villa in the FA Cup final at Wembley on May 30.

Dangote, however, suggested Arsene Wenger's side should be achieving more.

He added: "(Wenger) needs to change his style a bit. They need new direction."

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
  • Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more

12 Comments

12 Comments

1. Michael

May 6, 2015 at 1:41 am

Stan needs total control of the club. Arsenal doesn’t need these minority owners bickering and drawing unneeded attention to the themselves. The fans should put pressure on the other owner to sell and leave.

• Cody

May 6, 2015 at 11:45 am

Stan has total control of the club.

2. Burnsey

May 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Is he a billionaire in Nigeria or in British pounds?

• Frill Artist

May 6, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Both.

3. brn442

May 5, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Between Kroenke and Usmanov (who wants to buy the club himself) – it’s highly unlikely but money talks.

I just hope that the Premiere League does its due diligence on this “Billionaire” if it does happen.

4. Iancransonsknees

May 5, 2015 at 3:12 pm

This is the guy who keeps emailing me to send him money.

• Frill Artist

May 6, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Stupid comment.

5. mark williamson

May 5, 2015 at 12:36 pm

As an Arsenal fan I will say this-if a sugar daddy buys this team I would very quickly change my allegiance. I love this team but would not support it as they won the league more often than not by buying players who are interested in lining their pockets and not caring one iota about the fans. Quite frankly, in response to the remark about Mr. Wenger, he is doing very well thank you, and does not need to change direction. We challenged this year and we will be right there next year. As the above poster said, “f*** off!” That’s coming from someone who rarely drops the “f” bomb.

• Cody

May 5, 2015 at 3:22 pm

You would “change allegiance” just because of an owner? Do you realize how many people support a club despite their crap ownership?

Blackburn, Leeds, Newcastle, Fulham, Blackpool just to name a few of the worst cases. Plenty of people have stuck with their teams through bad ownership.

I’m an Arsenal fan, but I’m sorry, I don’t want you to support our club if you are that flaky.

6. foreverinourshadows

May 5, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I save you the trouble, f*** off we are not interested in another Sugar daddy, it’s bad enough we have two staining our club

• Cody

May 5, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I’m not interested in Sugar Daddies either, but please let us in on how much money Stan & Usmanov have put into the club from their personal coffers since you claim we have “2 sustaining our club”.

• s4dfish