Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea is set to snub interest from Real Madrid and sign a two-year deal which will see him remain at Old Trafford until June 2017.
According to the British tabloid the Sun, the 24-year-old will agree a deal that will earn him in the region of £20 million, which will see the Spain international make £200,000-per-week.
This news will undoubtedly excite the majority of United supporters. However, if the report proves correct, De Gea’s contract in Manchester will expire at the same time Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas’ deal ends in Spain.
It would be a surprising decision from United to allow such a decision to be made. What it sets up is another year of transfer speculation as the player’s contract begins to run down again next season.
United will not want to see the Spain international leave the club and join Real Madrid on a free transfer in June 2017. So fans would once again have to hear the player’s name linked with a move away from the club.
United had been attempting to sign De Gea to a five-year contract with a massive buy-out clause. But it appears that deal wasn’t to the liking of the young shot stopper and the club has elected for a short-term extension with his current deal set to expire next summer.
That said, with De Gea signed for another two seasons it allows United more time to find the right replacement for the goalkeeper – who was recently named to the PFA Team of the Year – before he ultimately returns to Spain.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Sling Blue, Peacock and Paramount+ provide the best games for less
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar
- Premier League should be decreased to 18 teams, says David Dein
- Southgate holding England back from being world beaters