Everton striker Romelu Lukaku dealt with racism as a youngster by using it as an added motivation to score goals.
The Belgium international revealed he encountered abuse playing in youth teams back in his homeland but found the perfect response.
"I didn't suffer too much but when you hear it for the first time you are like 'Oh my God'," said the 21-year-old, speaking at a Kick It Out session at a school in Liverpool.
"But I just responded by scoring goals. I used it as motivation.
"I remember one game for Anderlecht under-15s, a parent said something but we ended up winning 7-1 and I scored four, so it doesn't matter.
"I've not experienced it (racism) like other players but it is still out there, we all know that."
Lukaku is Everton's top scorer this season with 18 goals. Most have come playing as a lone front man but he said he likes having someone alongside him and is hoping to strike up a partnership with Arouna Kone, who has managed just one goal in 21 starts over almost two injury-ravaged seasons.
"There were some games where I used to play down the sides, it didn't work out for me," Lukaku told the Liverpool Echo.
"In all the games when I've played as a striker I have scored goals so when the manager switched over with two strikers with Arouna, that was heaven for me because I could do whatever I wanted because there was somebody next to me who had a work ethic the same as me. It was very pleasing.
"The manager knew that if I had that type of distraction next to me on the pitch then I would be much more free to score and create goals.
"Now, when you play with somebody next to you, you always know you are in a one v one situation."
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
- Where to find Corinthians vs. Boca Juniors on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- LAFC confirms 12-month Bale deal with options through 2024
- Barcelona unveils 2022/23 away kit to honor Olympics anniversary
- Favre new Nice coach as Galtier in PSG talks