Barcelona manager Luis Enrique has included defender Thomas Vermaelen in his match day squad for today’s Champions League quarter-final second leg against Paris Saint-Germain.
The 29-year-old defender was signed from Arsenal for a reported £15 million last summer, but was almost immediately sidelined with a serious hamstring injury. The club eventually decided to have Vermaelen go under the knife in December in a bid to finally put an end to his ordeal.
After the operation, it was thought Vermaelen would be out of action for four to five months. So a return during the doctor’s timetable is within the realm of possibility.
The Belgian returned to training late last month and had been rumored to be close to a return. However, the club has taken an extremely cautious road with their investment and not rushed the defender back into the squad.
Now, it appears Vermaelen is finally fit enough to be included in Luis Enrique’s match day squad and the manager has elected to add the defender to tonight’s team against PSG.
Barcelona hold a 3-1 advantage from the first leg and are looking to close out the Champions League quarter-final at the Camp Nou later today.
Programming note: Barcelona vs. Paris Saint-Germain will be shown LIVE today at 2:45pm EST on FOX Sports 1 and FoxSoccer2Go.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ