PSV Eindhoven technical director Marcel Brands says Memphis Depay is attracting “serious interest from big clubs” and it is almost a certainty the talented winger will leave the newly crowned Eredivisie champions this summer.
Depay struck a majestic free-kick in Saturday’s 4-1 win over Heerenveen, which secure PSV’s first Dutch league title since 2008.
The 21-year-old Netherlands international has been heavily linked with a move to Manchester United due to his strong relationship with former Dutch national team coach Louis van Gaal.
But according to PSV’s technical director, a number of clubs have been in contact with the Dutch side regarding Depay and the ultimate decision as to where he ends up next season will fall on the young winger’s shoulders.
“There is serious interest from big clubs,” Brands said following Saturday’s win. “We’ve had a phone call [from Manchester United] but there were no talks yet.
“If it comes to a deal, he must make the choice. Then it’s up to us to come out with such a club.”
Earlier this week, Brand told reporters the chances of Depay leaving were “very high”.
“The chances are very high that he leaves,” the technical director said. “If you see what clubs are inquiring about him, they really are the best in Europe.
“When I talk for PSV I would say he is not ready and should continue here for another year. But I am realistic and if I worked at a big European club, I’d buy him without question.
“With a heavy heart [we would let him go], because a great player and a great guy leaves. But we are also proud that a boy from the academy is going to make such a step.”
Tottenham, Manchester City, Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain have reportedly expressed an interest in signing Depay, with Spurs and PSG already having their initial approaches rejected by the Dutch winger.
Depay has scored 20 goals in 26 league games so far this season, while leading PSV to their 22nd Eredivisie title.
According to another of PSV’s board members, the cost of signing Depay will be higher than the 20 million euros (roughly £15 million) Tottenham offered last summer.
(Depay’s free-kick goal vs. Heerenveen on Saturday)
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & MLS
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more